I've been a big fan of Tom Peters for years and thought you'd welcome his advice for these tough times ….
- Excellence. Get on with doing the business you have and see it through brilliantly.
- Stick to the basics. Keep it simple! The devil is always in the details.
- Opportunism. there may be a lot of room for it–will pay off through speed off the mark and excellence in execution.
- Visibility. March toward the sound of the guns. MBWA. People have to see who they are working for and who they are dealing with.
- Transparency. Be absolutely straight with people, especially those at the front line. People who play the blame game in any way, shape, or form are straight out of here!
- Demeanour. Banish “gloomy” from your persona, even if it kills you! But remember, “sunny” is pretty stupid, too. Who do you think you are kidding?
- Paradox. Have a Positive Mental Attitude AND be ready for the worst (this recession might easily go on for 24 months).
I'll add one – quickly, effectively and profitably deliver a true advantage!
Source: Tom Peters Company, 17th November 2008